We offer some guidance and resources to help you navigate this particularly challenging time.
The BEAM Career Strategies Guide for PhDs & Postdocs provides advice for students interested in pursuing careers in and beyond academia. Find information on exploring career options, building a professional network, creating job application documents, interviewing, and negotiating.
Handshake provides Stanford students with opportunities, connections, events, and content related to their career aspirations and interests.
Academic Job Search
We have compiled a comprehensive set of resources to help you navigate the faculty job search into this new, self-service Canvas site.
- Each module focuses on one of the discrete elements of the job search, including writing research, teaching and diversity statements, reading job ads, interviewing remotely and during campus visits, mastering the job talk, and negotiating offers. Each module has resources including worksheets, videos, and written resources.
- We have compiled packets of samples of written materials from Stanford PhDs and Postdocs who have been offered faculty jobs.
LinkedIn Learning is a valuable professional development resource free to the Stanford community once you have a LinkedIn account set up. With over 13,000 courses designed for all levels of learners, It's a quick and easy resource for building both technical and non-technical skills.
Log in through Stanford here, connect your LinkedIn account, and then access the library.
The National Center for Faculty Development & Diversity (NCFDD) is an independent professional development, training, and mentoring community of faculty, postdocs, & graduate students from over 450 colleges and universities.
Students have free access to NCFDD through Stanford's institutional membership. Find instructions here on how to activate it. Some resources to start with:
- Core Curriculum - 10 key skills necessary to thrive in the academy
- Resource Library - over 130 webinars with topics ranging from academic publishing to healthy relationships in academia
- 14-Day Writing Challenge - a challenge to experiment with daily writing, online community, and supportive accountability
Interfolio is an online credential file management service for colleges and universities. Visit Interfolio to register for a free account and visit the dossier section of the site.
Interstride is an interactive career platform that enhances the career exploration and job search process for international students. With web and mobile applications, it’s a one-stop-shop for career resources, from navigating the visa process and searching for jobs, to building one’s professional network. Sign in using your stanford.edu or alumni.stanford.edu email.
Campus Partner Resources
The Office of the Vice Provost for Graduate Education offers a rich array of events and resources to support your professional development throughout your time at Stanford. Some highlights on the VPGE website include:
- The Graduate Professional Development Framework, also known as the wheel, describes skills and experiences that will contribute to your academic and career success. The interactive wheel also connects you directly with Stanford’s extensive resources and learning opportunities. PhD Pathways in Higher Education provides tips and resources for exploring university careers outside of the tenure-track faculty path. You can also access a list of Stanford non-faculty staff with PhDs to connect & learn about their careers.
- Preparing for Faculty Careers provides advice and resources to help you understand the faculty role, build your skills, and successfully pursue an academic job search.
Management Consulted is the leading resource on consulting and case interview prep. The platform contains a library of resources - 500+ cases, 10K+ case structure & math drills, 8 online video courses, and 11 industry primers. Through engaging in the modules and activities, you’ll learn the ins and outs of mental math, case and fit interviews, PowerPoint, Excel, and more.
- Students register using your @stanford.edu
- Alumni register using your @alumni.stanford.edu
Use Big Interview to prepare for job, internship, and graduate school interviews! Big Interview provides training curriculum and video practice to help you improve your interview skills.