Interviews and Coffee Chats
Scheduled interviews and coffee chats are an excellent follow-ups to an information session or a career fair. Both interviews and coffee chats provide students opportunities to connect one-on-one with an employer.
- Interviews are the more formal option for employers to select candidates and increase the likelihood of receiving applicants.
- Coffee chats are less formal conversations for employers to network and share information about their organizations, industry insights, recruiting processes or any other professional topics.
Guidelines for Interviews and Coffee Chats
- Interviews and coffee chats are held Monday through Friday during the academic year in the Stanford Career Education building. We recommend you to schedule your interviews and coffee chats between 10:00am to 3:00pm in order to better accommodate students’ schedules. There are eight on-campus interview rooms.
- Submit your reservation request through the Handshake Interview module.
- There is no cost to reserve an interview room. Rooms are reserved on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Please attach a job posting to your requests. Students can only see your schedule after applying for your positions.
- Please request your interviews and coffee chats at least 2 weeks prior to your desired date, which gives CareerEd’s team enough time to promote the event.
- Employers are responsible for scheduling interviews, contacting students and providing Zoom links for virtual events.
Mandatory Interview Registration Instructions
Step 1. Complete these step-by-step instructions to create interview schedules on Handshake.
Step 2. Email Cleopatra Dorsey, email@example.com, with the timeline of your interview and if it will be conducted on-campus or virtually.
- Please feel free to copy and paste the example below in your email and make any necessary changes. This timeline example is for an interview scheduled on October 25th, 2022.
When students can begin applying; signup period cannot overlap apply period
Tuesday, September 13th, 2022, 12:00 am
When applications close; only now can you select which applicants you would like to attend your interview
Monday, October 17th, 2022, 11:55 pm
PRIMARY SIGNUP START
Your applicants can begin choosing interview slots; signup period cannot overlap apply period
Wednesday, October 19th, 2022, 5:00 pm
ALTERNATE SIGNUP START
When alternate applicants can begin choosing interview slots
Saturday, October 22nd, 2022, 8:00 am
Interview slots close; your applicant packets will now be created
Sunday, October 23rd, 2022, 11:55 pm
October 25th, 2022
Mandatory Coffee Chat Registration Instructions
Step 1. After completing steps one through seven of creating a schedule on Handshake, you’ll reach the Jobs tab.
Step 2. On the Jobs tab, select the blue “Create New Job” option. (Do not choose “copy job details” or “use existing job”.)
Step 3. In the pop-up, select the following options for the Basic tab:
- Apply in Handshake
- Job Title (Copy and Paste Below)
- Coffee Chat - [On-campus/Virtual] - [Your Company Name] - [Date of Coffee Chat]
- Experiential Learning
- Work Study - No
- Are you open to speaking with interested candidates?
- Select either Yes or No to be contacted by students
Step 4. Complete the Details tab of the coffee chat job.
- Please apply for this posting in order to view and sign up for a coffee chat time slot to have a one-on-one conversation with a recruiter.
- How many students to you expect to hire - 1
- Paid or Unpaid
- Job Location:
- Stanford, California, United States
- Does this position require U.S. work authorization? - No
- No Required Documents Preferred (If needed, please see next step)
Step 5. Optional Page: No need to select anything from this page, unless you have a targeted student group.
If your coffee chat requires selected documents, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Once completed, then click “Save.”
Step 6. You will receive a confirmation email after we review your request with any industry conflicts, room availability, and required information considered.
Interview and Coffee Chat Cancellations
It is the employer's responsibility to honor scheduled interview or coffee chat times once students have been selected. If an emergency forces a last-minute cancellation or a need for rescheduling, it is the employer's responsibility to contact the affected students and cc/bcc email@example.com. To cancel your on-campus interviews or coffee chats, please contact Cleopatra Dorsey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Directions & Parking
- Please check in at the third floor of the Student Services Building, 563 Salvatierra Walk, Stanford CA 94305. Your interview rooms will be located on the same floor.
- Wilbur Field Garage (Parking Structure 6) is the closest underground parking structure to our building.
- Park Mobile is the most convenient way to pay for visitor parking on campus.
- Take a picture of your license plate
- Download Park Mobile App
- Local restaurant options: